Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 1:00pm to 2:00pm
Tandy Lecture Hall, Fort Worth Public Library - Central
An honor roll of 81 Jewish doughboys was unveiled Nov. 11, 1920, and embedded in awall of marble at Fort Worth’s Hebrew Institute. The marble montage was 10 ft. tall and 8 ft. wide. It was made from 5 tablets. The frieze across the top was inscribed with 2 Jewish stars and 2 American flags. The title reads: TRIBUTE TO OUR BOYS=WORLD WAR=1914-1918. In 1951, the marble montage was broken into 5 slabs and stacked in a storage closet. Rediscovered in 1980, four panels were framed and hung in a garden by the entrance to the Congregation Ahavath Sholom’s new synagogue located at 4050 S. Hulen. The 5th tablet, inscribed with the dedication date and the sponsors, the Ladies Auxiliary to Hebrew Institute, was discarded. Exposed to wind, sun, and rain, the colors on the monument faded until it was white-on-white and only legible up close. Because of the WWI centennial, it is being restored, with the 81 named inked in. Many soldiers’ descendants still live in Fort Worth.
Hollace Weiner, Fort Worth Jewish Archives