Tax Credit Program Highlight: Goad Motor Company/Cadillac Lofts

San Antonio, Bexar County

1927

Cadillac Lofts facade

Designation

Listed individually in the National Register of Historic Places

Historic Use

Auto dealership

Current Use

Multifamily apartment building

Total Rehabilitation Cost

$2,589,283

Qualified Rehabilitation Expenses

$937,888

Date Certified

December 15, 2016

 

Certified for state tax credits only.

History

Automobile dealer Thomas Jefferson Goad constructed this brick building in 1927 to house his Cadillac-LaSalle dealership. San Antonio architect Harvey Partridge Smith designed the Goad building during the era of elaborate, architect-designed automobile showrooms. The main showroom featured decorative Spanish tile, wrought iron grilles, wood-paneled doors and imitation travertine pilasters, all to highlight the quality of the products being sold. Most of these features have been lost. In 1934 and again in 1951, the building was expanded to house a growing number of offices (situated on a new third floor) and a new service center that focused on the new business of selling and maintaining used cars. The property now takes up an entire city block, and continued its original function as a car dealership until 1998 when it was converted into an apartment complex.

Rehabilitation Project

The building’s 1998 subdivision into apartments was certified under the federal tax credit program, and the current scope of work, nearly twenty years later, has focused on updating and upgrading the existing amenities at the complex. Major interior work items included makeovers within the individual apartment units, and improvements in the common spaces such as creation of a new fitness center and leasing office, and upgrades to hallway finishes. Interior courtyards, private patios, and the rooftop amenity deck were also improved. This rehabilitation was conducted in two phases, which were submitted separately for state tax credits.

Photo Gallery

Click on any image to view the photo gallery.

  • New tenant amenities were created in the second floor courtyard, which are not visible from the ground level.