Internship Title: Historic Site Operation Intern
Supervising Division/Department/Site: Mission Dolores State Historic Site
Semester Internship is Available: Fall/Spring/Summer
Work Location Address: 701 S. Broadway, San Augustine TX 75972
Duration: Spring Semester
Application Closing Date: January 1, 2017
Travel Required: No
INTERNSHIP JOB DESCRIPTION:
Thie historic site operations intern will gain experience in all aspects of operating a historic site. This includes interpretive/educational program development and delivery, outreach events, social media, customer service, maintenance, artificat curation.
Complies with all agency Internship Program policies and procedures.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
- Researching, developing and presenting interpretive programming or assisting site interpreter
- Operating cash register in gift shop
- opening and closing museum
- Performing routine maintenance and custodial functions
- Attending outreach events
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Interest in museums, history, and/or education
- Strong writing, research, and communication skills
- Strong organizational, multitasking, and people skills Knowledge of standard office computer skills, including database software and word processing
- Ability to work independently and on detailed tasks
- Demonstrated interest in museum programs, education, and/or history
- Applications will be accepted from currently enrolled college students who are sophomores, juniors, seniors, or graduate students and recent Bachelor’s and Master’s degree graduates.Degree or expected degree in history, education, museum studies, library/archival science, humanities, or a related field preferred.
REMARKS (Application procedure, Special requirements): Applications must be submitted on the Texas Historical Commission’s Internship Application available on the web at www.thc.texas.gov. Please mail applications to P.O. Box 12276, Austin, Texas 78711 or deliver them in person at 1700 N. Congress Avenue, Suite B-65, Austin, Texas. A resume and current transcript must be submitted with your application. Resumes cannot be submitted in lieu of applications. Applications will be reviewed, and top applicants will be contacted for interviews. After a qualified person has been chosen for the specified internship, letters will be mailed to all interviewed applicants letting them know that the position has been filled. Disability access for application submission, testing and interview accommodations can be provided upon reasonable notice.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER