The Meridian Highway historically has been the major north-south named highway in Texas since the early 1910s. As originally conceived by the International Meridian Association in 1911, it stretched from Canada to Mexico, extending through the nation's mid-section and the expansive Great Plains region. Its path cross approximately 800 miles of Texas, passing through Burkburnett, Wichita Falls, Fort Worth, Cleburne, Waco, Taylor, Georgetown, Austin, New Braunfels, San Antonio, Cotulla, Laredo, Bryan, Hempstead, Houston, and Galveston, among other communities, and roughly followed IH-35W with a major lateral from Waco to Galveston following SH6/US 290.
The Texas Historical Commission is undertaking a two-year study to document the history of the Meridian Highway. The project will result in a written history of the Texas section of the Meridian Highway and a survey of the Texas Meridian route, including associated historic resources: auto repair garages, gas stations, diners, tourist camps, auto courts, motels, road markers, paving, and traffic signs. This effort is funded by the Texas Legislature and the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) through the federal Transportation Enhancement Program.
Click on any image to view the photo gallery.