Some time ago, Cameron County officials recognized the need to renovate their outmoded 1912 courthouse to improve efficiency of their operations. Between 1995 and 2000, the building was vacated and a major exterior restoration was executed exclusively with county funding. When the Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program was created, Cameron County applied for funds to complete the remaining $7 million interior and site improvement project.
Known locally as the Dancy Building after Judge Oscar Dancy, the building now houses administrative functions of the county government including the judge’s office, commissioners court, and the offices of treasurer and auditor. The project included restoration of the double height district courtroom, the stained glass rotunda and the ornamental plaster.
The building was rededicated as the official Cameron County Courthouse on October 17, 2006.