The 1912 Cooke County Courthouse was designed by the Dallas firm of Lang & Witchell. The courthouse was designed in the Beaux Arts style with some Prairie Style features and influences from famed Chicago architect Louis Sullivan, particularly the ornamental plaster and stained glass.
The courthouse, in the center of Gainesville, features black and white marbled interiors and a tall central atrium capped by a stained glass skylight under the tower.
Cooke County received a planning grant in Round III and a construction grant in Round IV to restore the exterior of the building. In Round V, an interior construction grant completed the full restoration of the building by opening the District Courtroom to its full height, exposing the natural light to the stained glass dome, restoring all interior finishes to their original appearance and color, and repairing its original tower clock to working order.
Before and After Restoration