The Second Empire courthouse, completed in 1884, is the design of J.E. Flanders. It is unusual in its lack of extraneous ornamentation and in its proportion of window area to wall area.
A dangerous electrical system and a gas space heater system created a fire risk for this building. Water leaks from downspout and plumbing systems led to flooding of the interior, damaging historic finishes and county documents.
The grant project resulted in updated systems, compliant with life and safety standards, and restoration of the courtroom.
The rededication was held on June 30, 2001.
Before and After Restoration