The Texas Historical Commission (THC) offers annual awards to recognize worthy accomplishments and exemplary leadership in the preservation of Texas’ heritage. The THC accepts nominations for the following categories of annual historic preservation awards:
- Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation
- Ruth Lester Lifetime Achievement Award
- John Ben Shepperd County Historical Commission Leadership Award
- George Christian Outstanding Volunteer of the Year Award
- John L. Nau, III Award of Excellence in Museums
- Curtis D. Tunnell Lifetime Achievement Award in Archeology
- Anice B. Read Award of Excellence in Community Heritage Development
- Texas Historical Commission Award of Excellence in Preserving History
- Texas Historical Commission Award of Excellence in Historic Architecture
- Texas Historical Commission Award of Excellence in Media Achievement
- Award of Merit
Most of the above awards will be presented at the THC’s Real Places Conference in January 2019. The THC’s most prestigious award, the Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation, is presented in a special ceremony arranged with the staff of the Governor’s office, and awards of merit presentations are arranged by THC staff or submitting individuals and organizations as time allows. Current THC staff members, commissioners, advisory board members, or their immediate families are not eligible to receive any award.
The deadline for submissions for the 2018 THC Preservation Awards is July 13, 2018. Winners of the awards will be decided at the Commission's October 2018 Quarterly Meeting, and all nominees will be notifed of their status shortly afterwards. Guidelines for the 2018 awards are available below—they also include instructions on which materials to submit and a cover form that must be included with all submissions. Nominations for the Award of Merit, which recognizes the efforts/contributions of a group or individual involved in preserving Texas’ cultural and historic resources, can be submitted at any time during the year.
- Any member of the public may submit a nomination in accordance with the guidelines.
- Please refer to the detailed guidelines to determine which award may best fit your needs and for further instructions regarding nomination procedures.
- In addition to award-specific requirements, submit the awards nomination cover form attached to the last page of the guidelines document
Award of Merit (PDF)
- Recognizes the efforts/contributions of a group or individual involved in preserving Texas’ cultural and historical resources.