Tax Credit Program Highlight: Butler Brothers Building

Dallas, Dallas County



Listed in National Register as part of the Dallas Downtown Historic District

Historic Use

Warehouse and Distribution Center

Current Use

Residential and Hotel

Total Rehabilitation Cost


Qualified Rehabilitation Expenses


Date Certified

October 28, 2016


One phase certified for state credits. Also seeking Federal Rehabilitation Tax Credits.


The Butler Brothers Company, one of the largest wholesale companies in the nation, expanded into Dallas during the early 20th century with significant economic impact. The 1911 construction of the company’s massive warehouse and distribution center resulted in a major downtown building boom. Rebranded as the Dallas Merchandise Mart in 1953, the Butler Brothers Building played a major role in the Dallas fashion industry, particularly in its association with the National Fashion Exhibitors of America. The Merchandise Mart was a boon to the industry providing clothing manufacturers showrooms for 500 tenants and displaying around 2,000 national clothing lines.

Rehabilitation Project

The building was originally designed in the Gothic and Romanesque Revival styles, but was covered in stucco in 1960. It was hoped that the exterior of the building could be fully restored, but the original brick was highly damaged during the installation of the stucco coating and would have been further damaged during the removal, so the stucco was retained. The first phase of the project has been completed, which included exterior repairs and paint, replacement of non-historic windows, and converting half of the interior into industrial-style loft apartments overlooking downtown Dallas. The second phase of the project will convert the other half of the building into a hotel with restaurant and retail spaces.

Photo Gallery

Click on any image to view the photo gallery.

  • The Butler Brothers Building as originally constructed in a combination of Gothic and Romanesque styles with a crenellated cornice. (Photo courtesy of Dallas Public Library.)