Tax Credit Program Highlight: Herff-Rozelle Farm

Boerne, Kendall County


Herff Farm


Individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places

Historic Use

Residence and farm

Current Use

Non-profit educational space and event center

Total Rehabilitation Cost


Qualified Rehabilitation Expenses


Date Certified

April 21, 2016


Certified for state tax credits only.


This two-story limestone house was used as the summer country home for Dr. Ferdinand Herff (a pioneer and physician) and his wife Mathilde. The farm is an example of a true Hill Country farmstead that has not changed substantially since the early 20th century. In addition to the home itself, agricultural and domestic structures remain intact including aviaries, a barn, worker’s quarters and a smokehouse. The farm stayed in the Herff family until 1935 when George and Erma Rozelle purchased the property and continued its use as a farmhouse. In 2007, the Cibolo Nature Center, an environmental not-profit group, took over the home and land to safeguard the property against encroachment by local development.

Rehabilitation Project

The farmhouse on the property had been vacant and poorly maintained for decades prior to purchase, and much of the rehabilitation project focused on repairs and conservative modernizations that necessary for the building to be brought back into use. The original wood windows were repaired and stone walls shored up and reconstructed; modern utilities were installed, and the historic front veranda was rebuilt based on evidence from archival photos. The rehabilitation of the farmhouse represents the first major development project on the Herff farm property, which now operates as an educational and interpretive space for the adjacent Cibolo Nature Center. Future tax credit work is planned for other historic outbuildings.

Photo Gallery

Click on any image to view the photo gallery.

  • Before rehabilitation, the farmhouse had been vacant for a number of years. The building was structurally unsound and the majority of the front porch had been demolished.