Tax Credit Program Highlight: Fred Schimelpfenig Building

Plano, Collin County

1884

Designation

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

Historic Use

Commercial

Current Use

Rental facility

Total Rehabilitation Cost

$53,101

Qualified Rehabilitation Expenses

$53,101

Date Certified

October 28, 2016

 

Certified for state credits only.

History

The Fred Schimelpfenig Building was constructed in 1884, by the Sanger Brothers, who operated numerous dry goods store (and eventually department stores) in many Texas cities. It is best known as the home of the dry goods store operated by Fred Schimelpfenig, who also served as mayor of Plano in the early 1900s. Since the end of the dry goods days, the building has also housed a furniture store, clothing store, and a tea room. It now operates as an event rental facility in Plano’s thriving downtown.

Rehabilitation Project

A large hail storm hit Plano in March of 2016, damaging the roofs of many buildings in the city, including the Schimelpfenig Building. The building’s owner applied for the THPTC for the replacement of his roof. The building has a flat roof behind a brick parapet topped with metal coping. The project involved removing the existing, damaged roofing; replacing damaged roof decking; adding foam insulation to slope the roof for proper drainage and reduce areas of ponding; and laying a new thermoplastic polyolefin (TPO) roof. TPO roofs are known for their ease of installation, and the white finish reflects UV radiation, allowing the building to stay naturally cooler. Parapet copings, gutters, downspouts, and scuppers were also all replaced in kind.

Photo Gallery

Click on any image to view the photo gallery.

  • Some aspects of the building have been altered over time, but it still retains many historic elements and its overall character.