In November, appointment reminder packets are mailed to county judges and commissioners. Sample packet is here. This packet includes a cover letter, recommended CHC appointee criteria, and the latest CHC annual report summary.
While considering county responsibilities, please read memo from attorney, David B. Brooks. Letter addresses frequently asked CHC questions; topics include the validity of non-voting member status, CHC fundraising, private CHC bank accounts, and ultimate CHC oversight. Work with county auditor and attorney to make decisions about CHC business matters.
Photo: Jeff Davis County Commissioner, Larry Francell, participtes in CHC regional workshop in Fort Davis.
Submitting CHC appointee rosters
County commissioners courts are directed to provide CHC appointee updates in January of odd-numbered years as per the Texas Local Government Code, Chapter 318. The Texas Historical Commission (THC) uses this contact information to discuss specific historic resources and promote educational opportunities.
CHC appointee roster submission tracking from 2007-2008 to 2017-2018 terms here. Last updated September 2018.
Please use the following template to create a CHC appointee roster. Counties should submit an updated roster by the beginning of each term of service, usually January of odd-numbered years to align with state statutory directive. CHCs should verify appointee contact information on a regular basis, perhaps at each commission meeting, and update the roster when needed.
CHC Appointee Roster Template -- Please submit rosters in this excel format (rather than Microsoft Word or PDF documents) so that roster spreadsheets from all 254 CHCs can be merged electronically.
- All appointee contact updates should be made by editing the CHC's roster spreadsheet.
- Provide the contact information (names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses) on the roster.
- Email completed/updated roster to email@example.com.
- If you send miscellaneous updates to the THC, you will be directed to make those changes on the CHC's roster and then submit the updated roster to our office.
Updates for CHC chair or marker chair are special. Please notify the THC of these changes as soon as possible, so that we maintain communication with the appropriate representatives for each county. CHC rosters are saved to our agency servers for reference but chair contact information is entered into our agency database. This requires specific notifiaction of chair contact information updates.
- CHC Chair Notification Form to provide the necessary information required to change chair contacts.
- Marker Chair Authorization Form to provide necessary information to the marker program staff.
Questions about CHC Appointment Process
Questions concerning the CHC appointment process should be directed to Amy Hammons using firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 512.475-2692.
Supplemental information for county officials and CHCs
Below is a list of supplemental documents created by THC's CHC Outreach Program for county officials. These documents may help provide more information on responsibilities associated with CHCs.
- Texas Local Government Code, Chapter 318 -- This link takes you to the state statute that enables counties to establish CHCs.
- CHC Appointee Criteria Recommendations -- This flyer provides THC recommendations that address the more practical responsibilities associated with the role of CHC appointees.
- Sample request for appointment--provided by the Tom Green CHC -- This document enables those interested in a CHC appointment to share a bit of information about their interest and skills, so that the county commissioners court can make informed decisions and the CHC will know how best to assign/suggest work for incoming appointees.
More about CHC reporting responsibilities here.
More about CHC appointee responsibilities here.