Site of Epperson's Ferry
At this crossing, constructed by nature and used by Caddo Indians, early French and Spanish explorers, and travelers over Trammel's Trace. Mark Epperson before 1837 established a ferry used until the construction of a wooden bridge antedating the modern structure erected in 1924.
This monument was removed in 1956 to its present location when its original site, 7 miles southwest, was inundated by Lake Texarkana.
Grey granite 1936 Centennial marker #9478.