Courthouse, 128 Bridge St, Marlin

Address: Courthouse, 128 Bridge St, Marlin

Date: 1939

Historic Uses: Courthouse

Stylistic Influences: Art Deco

National Register of Historic Places: Recommended Eligible

Previous Designations: National Register Listed (Indiv.), RTHL, SAL

Other Historic Designations: 2000001532, 8200001987, 5145011717, 4302000168

Main Content

Falls County Courthouse

National Register Listed: 1532

SAL: 8200001987

RTHL: 11717

Courthouse: 4302000168

Work began on a fifth Falls County Courthouse in 1938.  A county bond issue for $130,000 was matched with a 45% Public Works Administration grant in 1938.  The cornerstone was leveled by the Grand Lodge of Texas, AF&AM on July 4, 1939, and the building was completed by December.  Much of the facade is Austin shellstone; Texas pink granite makes up the entry steps.  The courthouse was designed in the Art Moderne style by Arthur E. Thomas of Dallas, and was constructed by San Antonio contractors Hill & Combs.  Its symmetrical facade is dominated by a three-story central entry tower with key pattern stonework across the tower parapet.  Among its unusual features are the massive shellstone entry surrounds and decorative corner pilasters.  Arthur E. Thomas designed various other notable structures in Texas from the late 1930s to 1970, including other courthouses and projects for the Marlin Independent School District.  The 1939 Falls County Courthouse continues to serve as the center of county government. (Information from RTHL files)

Photo Gallery

Click on any image to view the photo gallery.