Courthouse, 301 Fannin St, Houston

Address: Courthouse, 301 Fannin St, Houston

Date: 1910

Historic Uses: Courthouse

Stylistic Influences: Neoclassical

National Register of Historic Places: Recommended Eligible, Recommended Contributing

Previous Designations: National Register Listed (Indiv.), RTHL, SAL

Other Historic Designations: 2081000629, 8200000317, 4302000029

Main Content

Harris County Courthouse (1910)

National Register Listed: 81000629

SAL: 8200000317

Courthouse: 4302000029

THC Subject Marker: 10679

When brothers Augustus C. and John K. Allen founded Houston in 1836, they designated this site as the Courthouse Square. In 1837, Houston became the Harrisburg (later Harris) county seat, and a two-story pine log courthouse was constructed here. The present structure, which was built in 1909-10, served as the fifth Harris County Courthouse at this location. Designed by Charles Erwin Barglebaugh, an associated in the prominent Dallas architectural firm of Lang & Witchell, it features classical revival styling. Outstanding details include the domed roof, ornate central projections with Corinthian columns, and elaborate ornamentation of terra cotta, limestone, and masonry. Building materials include pink Texas granite with light brown St. Louis brick. (Information from THC Subject Marker)

 

Photo Gallery

Click on any image to view the photo gallery.