Date: Exactly 1939-1940
Historic Uses: Roadside Park/Turnout
National Register of Historic Places: Individually Eligible
Previous Designations: National Register Eligible (Indiv.)
The picnic area on US 67 in Franklin County is an early roadside park developed by the Texas Highway Department -- now Texas Department of Transportation. It was built from 1939-1940 using labor from the National Youth Administration, a Federal Works Relief Program. The park retains several of its original stone picnic fixtures.
The Texas Highway Department launched its roadside park program in 1933 to provide safe places for motorists to relax and eat during their travels. Native stone and plantings were often used to create a natural park atmosphere. Today, hundreds of picnic areas and rest areas dot Texas' highways, continuing the state's legacy of safe and convenient roadside parks.
Click on any image to view the photo gallery.