Texas Route 66 National Register of Historic Places Properties
Route 66 Bridge over the Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railroad, Shamrock vicinity (NR nomination)
The Route 66 Bridge over the former right-of-way of the Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railroad is located along the Interstate 40 frontage road approximately eight miles east of the town of Shamrock. This section of Texas is located in the state's Panhandle and is characterized by arid plains containing large cattle ranches and scrub vegetation. The bridge is approximately 5.5 miles west of the Oklahoma state line and twelve miles southeast of Wheeler, the county seat of Wheeler County. The bridge is approximately thirty feet south of Interstate 40 eastbound guard rail. The bridge is identified in the Wheeler County Highway Department identification system as #25 242 0275-13-001.
Tower Station and U-Drop Inn Cafe, Shamrock (NR nomination)
The Tower Station and U-Drop Inn Cafe is located along historic Route 66 in Shamrock. Built in 1936 by J. M. Tindall and R. C. Lewis at the cost of $23,000, the building was designed and constructed to be three separate structures with Art Deco detailing and two towers. The first building was the Tower Conoco Station, named for the dominating four-sided obelisk rising from the flat roof and topped by a metal tulip. The second was the U-Drop Inn Cafe, and the third was supposed to be a retail store that instead became overflow seating area for the cafe. The Tower Station was the first commercial buildings located on the newly designated Route 66 in Shamrock, and is one of the most imposing and architecturally creative building along the length of the road.
The McLean Commercial Historic District is located in the Texas Panhandle community of McLean, a small town of approximately 830 residents. Located in the southeast corner of Gray County, McLean is 64 miles east of Amarillo off Interstate 40. McLean was formed along the tracks of the Rock Island Railroad during the early 20th century as a center of cattle and agricultural production. By the early 1920s, the town contained two blocks of brick commercial buildings containing a variety of businesses. The designation of US Route 66 through the town on First Street in 1926 spurred additional growth and development, and by the 1940s the town supported a number of gas stations, automobile repair shops, motels and restaurants. The increase in traffic through the town in the early 1950s resulted in the widening of Railroad Street, and US Route 66 was realigned into two west-bound lanes on First Street and two east-bound lanes on Railroad Street. Traffic on US Route 66 ran through the community until 1984 when it was bypassed by the construction of Interstate 40, approximately one-half mile south of the district boundary.
This property is a 7.2-mile section of Route 66 between Conway and Interstate 40 in Carson County. Conway is located in the Texas Panhandle, twenty miles east of Amarillo. This section of roadbed was designated as Route 66 in 1930 and was paved later that year. It served as the roadbed for Route 66 from 1930 until ca. 1965 when Interstate 40 was completed 1.3 miles to the north. After the completion of Interstate 40, this section of Route 66 was incorporated into the Carson County highway system and is now known as Texas Farm Road 2161. From Conway to Interstate 40, the historic roadbed of Route 66 extends through open rangeland and farmland. There are few modern intrusions along the roadbed and it retains much of its mid-20th century integrity and design.
Ranchotel, Amarillo (NR nomination)
Occupying a quarter block along the historic alignment of US Route 66 in Amarillo, the Ranchotel typifies the tourist courts that evolved in the first half of the 20th century. In 1940, the Randall Construction Company built this 16-unit tourist court in a U-shaped configuration around a central office/residence. The one-story buildings feature detailing such as stuccoed wall surfaces and squat chimneys that reinforce the imagery of the region's vernacular adobe traditions.
The US 66 Route 66 - Sixth Street Historic District encompasses 13 blocks of commercial development in the San Jacinto Heights Addition west of Amarillo's Central business district. Explosive growth in the 1920s fostered construction of one-part commercial blocks along the street. These modestly scaled commercial establishments often directly abutted neighboring buildings and sidewalks, establishing a dense urban fabric that survives relatively intact. Scattered institutional and residential buildings enliven the streetscape. Despite the loss of some historic fabric following rerouting of the highway in 1953, the district retains a high level of integrity, with 83 of 116 resources classified as Contributing elements.
Vega Motel, Vega (NR nomination)
The Vega Motel is located at 1005 Vega Boulevard in the Oldham County seat of Vega. The property consists of three separate wings built in a U-plan around a central courtyard. The west and south wings were built with hipped roofs in 1947 and contained six units each. In 1953, a gable roof wing was added to the east with eight units. All three motel wings were originally built with an exterior of stucco and with a central office/manager's residence. In 1964, the office/manager's residence was razed and a new office/manager's residence was added to the north facade of the west wing.
Glenrio Historic District, Glenrio (NR nomination)
The Glenrio Historic District includes all of the remaining buildings, structures and roadbed historically associated with the early railroad town and the mid-20th century activity along US 66. The district contains approximately 14.8 acres and within the boundary are twelve contributing buildings and four contributing structures.
Triangle Motel, Amarillo (NR nomination)
The Triangle Motel is a complex of six buildings constructed between 1946 and 1952 on a triangular site at the intersection of historic US 66 and US 60 in Amarillo. Two linear motel buildings, positioned to face each other, were constructed in the Streamline Modern style with stucco finish in 1946, along with the more utilitarian cafe and gas station buildings, also finished in stucco. The Minimal Traditional-styled residence and its garage were constructed on the parcel in 1952.