J. Riely Gordon designed the Romanesque Revival courthouse, completed in 1895. Because the building is across from the main square, the entrances are on the northwest and southwest angles and therefore, lack the normal more common quadrilateral symmetry of entrances.
The courthouse exhibited severe sandstone deterioration and the windows needed rehabilitation. Because the town is located on a series of springs, ground water infiltration had been a persistent problem.
The grant project resulted in the restoration of important exterior and interior elements and finishes, systems upgrades, and ADA modifications. It was completed in December 2002.
Before and After Restoration
Click on any image to view the photo gallery.