Internship Title: Archeological Collections Assistant
Supervising Division/Department/Site: Historic Sites Division - Curatorial Facility for Artifact Research (CFAR)
Semester Internship is Available: Summer 2023
Work Location Address: 9013 Tuscany Way, Austin, TX 78754
Duration: 10 weeks
Application Closing Date: Until Filled
Hours/Week: part-time, students are expected to commit a minimum of 20 hours a week
Travel Required: No
INTERNSHIP JOB DESCRIPTION:
This internship supports the THC's Mission Dolores Archeological Collections Rehabilitation Project, a grant-funded project that seeks to establish intellectual and physical control of collection related to the East Texas Spanish mission, Mission Dolores de los Ais. Students will work through cataloging the existing collection arrangement, reconciling the inventories with existing paperwork, researching work done at the site, preparing collections for analysts, and integrating the collections into long-term THC curation.
This internship provides students with the opportunity to become familiar with standard laboratory and curation tasks associated with archeological collections managed by the Historic Sites Division. The THC’s Historic Sites Division is responsible for the preservation and management of thirty-four historic sites across the State of Texas. These sites represent a wide range of Texas history and the archeological collections associated with these sites contain a broad array of artifact types, both prehistoric and historic. Students will have the opportunity to learn about the unique requirements for collections across a variety of materials and sources.
Funding for this position will be managed by the Friends of the THC. If selected for this position, successful candidates will be asked to complete a contract with the Friends of the THC.
Complies with all agency Internship Program Policies and Procedures.
Flat rate funding for this internship: $5000
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
Interns will be working under the supervision of the Archeological Collections Manager to complete the following tasks:
- Sorting, bagging, and labelling archeological collections.
- Rehousing collections in curatorial-standard materials.
- Cross-referencing collections with archeological reports and field notes to confirm artifact identification.
- Inventorying and cataloging artifacts and associated documentation.
- Object research to enhance artifact typology and descriptions.
- Preparing collections for analysis.
- Developing outreach materials related to the archeology of Mission Dolores.
- Data entry in Excel, Access, and/or Re:Discovery.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Coursework or prior experience in an archeological field or laboratory setting is preferred, though not required.
- Students are expected to understand basic artifact typologies, as well as have a strong attention to detail and the ability to work independently.
- Students are expected to be comfortable with using Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel.
Applicants should be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program with a focus on anthropology, archeology, history, or closely related field.
Please note: Bus service to the facility is limited, so access to a car (or another mode of transportation) may be needed.
REMARKS (Application procedure, Special requirements): Applications must be submitted on the Texas Historical Commission’s Internship Application available on the web at www.thc.texas.gov. Please e-mail applications to email@example.com. A resume and current transcript must be submitted with your application. Resumes cannot be submitted in lieu of applications. Applications will be reviewed, and top applicants will be contacted for interviews. After a qualified person has been chosen for the specified internship, letters will be mailed to all interviewed applicants letting them know that the position has been filled. Disability access for application submission, testing and interview accommodations can be provided upon reasonable notice.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER