From wartime service to seeking civil rights, African Americans have been shaping Texas for hundreds of years. Heritage destinations across the state showcase stories of outstanding bravery, caring for one’s community, and more. In this online presentation, representatives from five organizations share the histories of their sites and how the public can support their work to promote Black history.
- Host: Andrea Barefield, executive director, Texas Brazos Trail Region
- Doreen Ravenscroft, Doris Miller Memorial, Cultural Arts of Waco
- Sandra Tumberlinson, Callandret Black History Museum, San Benito Historical Society, San Benito
- Luis Padilla, Buffalo Soldiers Heritage & Outreach Program, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
- Larry Callies, Black Cowboy Museum, Rosenberg
- Candace Thompson, Friends of the Juanita J. Craft Civil Rights House, Dallas
- Nikki Christmas, Juanita J. Craft Civil Rights House, City of Dallas Office of Arts and Culture
Watch other videos, order a free travel guide, and find more heritage destinations focusing on Black history at Texas Time Travel.