This webpage provides reference material related to CHC foundational elements, along with recommendations for constructive CHC growth and participation in THC programs.
Expectations for CHCs
State statutes direct CHCs to train appointees. To assist, THC provides web material that addresses preservation and organizational improvement matters. THC staff, when able, provide in-person trainings to address timely and/or popular topics for CHCs and the public at large. More on upcoming educational opportunities here.
Due to the large size of Texas, only a handful of in-person trainings can be provided each year. So, CHCs must take advantage of all types of THC educational opportunities--online content and in-person events. FYI--not all THC programs provide public presentations.
Orientation Webinar--Role of an Appointee
The first segment of a full-day CHC Orientation is a presentation entitled, The Role of a CHC Appointee. This presentation covers the statutory basics for CHC appointees. While directed toward appointees, county officials and preservation partners may find the content meaningful.
- Role of an appointee webinar recording located here. Associated reference material are located below.
- Slideshow Handout -- copy of presentation slides. Some may want to use document for note-taking while watching or listening to the webinar presentation.
- Follow-up Worksheet -- available for individuals who want to learn more about how a CHC functions.
Responsibilities Associated with CHC Appointment
Don't know where to start? Below web links address CHC basics--information to improve foundational understanding of appointee responsibilities.
- First steps for CHC appointees are provided here
- Additional responsibilities for CHC chairs provided here
- CHC state statutes are highlighted here
- Other compliance issues featured on Review and Compliance for CHCs
- CHC purpose and structure featured on CHC Organizational Structure
- Open Meetings, CHC finances, etc. are included on CHC Organizational Topics
- THC does not review bylaws but provides general commentary on the CHC Bylaws
- CHC educational opportunities are noted on CHC Training and Workshops
- More information on CHC matters are located on Publications for CHCs
Recommendations from THC Staff
While we no longer publish a formal CHC Handbook, we do publish a list of recommendations from THC staff. State statutes direct CHCs to initiate and conduct programs suggested by the THC. For this reason, THC staff identified programs and services most frequently used by CHCs and developed recommendations that enable CHC appointees to make the most of these preservation opportunities. The recommendation framework enables CHCs of varying sizes and capacities to direct efforts in constructive ways rather than flounder in work that may be less advantageous in the short and long run.
THC recommendations are featured here.