Tax Credit Program Highlight: 115 West 2nd Street Building

Taylor, Williamson County



Listed in National Register as part of Taylor Downtown Historic District

Historic Use


Current Use


Date Certified

May 22, 2017


Certified for state tax credits only

Project Contact



This small brick storefront building was constructed as part of a block of four matching storefront buildings in downtown Taylor. The city was settled some thirty years earlier in the 1870s as a stop along the International-Great Northern Railroad, and became a bustling shipping point for cattle, grain and cotton. Despite a disastrous fire in 1882, the city had once again become a thriving community—with running water, a fire department, and an annual fair—by the time this building was constructed around 1900. This building was originally connected to its eastern neighbor, and provided storage for the neighboring harness and saddle shop.

Rehabilitation Project

Taylor has unfortunately experienced hard times economically over the last few decades, and during this time this building was underutilized and poorly maintained. The original doors, windows, and hardwood floors were lost; rain poured through the ceiling; the brick walls were crumbling; and there was no electricity or climate control. This rehabilitation project focused on bringing the building to functional condition without making any dramatic changes to the space. This project fits into the current developments that have been happening in the historic downtown. The City of Taylor and its EDC and Chamber of Commerce have been spurring public improvements and attracting new investment to improve the economic vitality of the community. Since 2008, nearly 20 companies have expanded or relocated to Taylor, creating new jobs and providing new amenities and resources downtown. The rehabilitation of underutilized buildings such as this one strongly support the efforts to improve the city.

Photo Gallery

Click on any image to view the photo gallery.

  • Although the storefront had been altered, the decorative wrought iron storefront pillars were found to remain under later materials, and they were refurbished as part of the project.