Tax Credit Program Highlight: 908 Sabine

Houston, Harris

c.1890-1896

Designation

Listed in the National Register as part of the Houston Old Sixth Ward Historic District

Historic Use

Private home

Current Use

Rental property

Date Certified

October 2, 2018

 

Also certified for Federal Rehabilitation Tax Credits.

Project Contact

Grayform Architecture, Solution Builders, LLC

History

First appearing on the Houston 1896 Sanborn map, 908 Sabine is the primary structure of two separate dwellings on the property. With an increase in commercial interests on adjacent Washington Avenue, the nearby railroad junction, and influx of German immigrants in the late 1800s, the city of Houston separated 908 Sabine and the surrounding properties into the Sixth Ward District, north of downtown, on January 1, 1877. Today, the Old Sixth Ward historic district stands as the oldest intact neighborhood of the city and the second-largest collection of Victorian-era homes in the region.

Rehabilitation Project

This rehabilitation project brought a poorly-maintained rental house back to a useful state by providing general repairs and upgrades. The work was done in coordination with the project at the other house on the lot, 910 Renner. Both properties had worn and gouged hardwood floors, which were overlaid with new wood; highly damaged wood doors and windows, which were repaired or replaced in kind when unsalvageable; and modest kitchens and baths that were in poor condition, which were completely renovated with all new fixtures. Systems including HVAC were replaced, and the houses received siding repairs and fresh coats of paint both inside and out. The 908 Sabine house also received a slight reconfiguration of spaces in the rear to expand the bathroom and improve access to the back yard, where a small deck was constructed. This house was previously missing its front porch, which was reconstructed based on historic evidence.

Photo Gallery

Click on any image to view the photo gallery.

  • The front porch of the house had been missing for many years, but was reconstructed as part of this project based on documentation of its size and shape from historic Sanborn Fire Insurance maps. The details were kept as simple as possible to avoid creating a false sense of history.