Tax Credit Program Highlight: St. David's Episcopal Church

Austin, Travis County



Individually Listed in the National Register of Historic Places; Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

Historic Use


Current Use


Date Certified

September 24, 2018


Certified for state credits only.

Project Contact

St. David Episcopal Church Parish Administration; Rand Construction, H&R; Bommarito Group


St. David’s Episcopal Church was the first stone masonry religious structure in Austin, and one of the oldest buildings standing in the city. Construction began in 1853 on the corner of San Jacinto and 7th Street across the road from the “President’s House,” the home of former president of the Republic of Texas, Mirabeau Lamar. The church held its first service on October 8, 1854. The building itself reflects different phases of Gothic Revival style as several additions and alterations occurred throughout its long history, including the current façade, which was added in 1870. The church complex now extends over an entire city block and remains an active worship space.

Rehabilitation Project

The historic church will undergo a multi-phase rehabilitation project, the first phase of which was completed in 2018. The original sanctuary structure was suffering from structural deficiencies and instability, resulting from the numerous building campaigns with separate structural systems, as well as the regrading and significant lowering of the adjacent streets, which had left the structure unsupported. After the structural problems were discovered twenty years ago and until repairs began, all worship services had to be conducted with evacuation contingency plans in case of high winds. This first step in the multi-phase rehabilitation saw the installation of a structural reinforcement system consisting of metal tie rods and buttresses, which will keep the building stable while permanent hidden reinforcements are installed. Once stabilized, the final stage will be a restoration of the interior of the sanctuary.

Photo Gallery

Click on any image to view the photo gallery.

  • From the west, the original portion of the church is visible, as well as the retaining wall and dropoff that were results of the lowering of 8th Street.