Internship Title: Educational Intern
Supervising Division/Department/Site: Sam Bell Maxey House State Historic Site
Semester Internship is Available: Spring/Summer/Fall
Work Location Address: 812 South Church Street, Paris, TX 75460
Duration: To Be Determined
Application Closing Date: Until Filled
Hours/Week: 10/week in Fall/Spring and 20/week in Summer
Travel Required: No
INTERNSHIP JOB DESCRIPTION:
Educational Interns may work on one or more of the following projects: developing educational programming for K-12, groups (Boy/Girl Scouts, Big Brother/Big Sister, etc.), adults, and families; developing and planning special events and programming for children, adults, and families; developing themed exhibits and corresponding guided tours; planning small exhibits; and organizing site resources. The Educational Internship must last at least 120 hours, but can last longer.
Complies with all agency Internship Program policies and procedures.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
Creation of educational programming (including but not limited to lesson plans and educational activiites); Creation of themed guided tours based around an exhibit; Creation of social media posts regarding their internship and projects
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Interest in museums, history, and/or education
- Strong writing, research, and communication skills
- Strong organizational, multitasking, and people skills
- Knowledge of standard office computer skills, including database software and word processing
- Ability to work independently and on detailed tasks
- Degree or expected degree in history, education, museum studies, library/archival science, humanities, or a related field
- Demonstrated interest in museum programs, education, and/or history.
- Applications will be accepted from currently enrolled college students who are sophomores, juniors, seniors, or graduate students and recent Bachelor’s and Master’s degree graduates.
REMARKS (Application procedure, Special requirements): Applications must be submitted on the Texas Historical Commission’s Internship Application available on the web at www.thc.texas.gov. Please mail applications to P.O. Box 12276, Austin, Texas 78711 or deliver them in person at 1700 N. Congress Avenue, Suite B-65, Austin, Texas. A resume and current transcript must be submitted with your application. Resumes cannot be submitted in lieu of applications. Applications will be reviewed, and top applicants will be contacted for interviews. After a qualified person has been chosen for the specified internship, letters will be mailed to all interviewed applicants letting them know that the position has been filled. Disability access for application submission, testing and interview accommodations can be provided upon reasonable notice.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER