Dear 4th or 7th Grade Social Studies Teacher,
We would like to take a brief moment and remind you of our wonderful Student Education Transportation Grant.
The grant has been extremely popular with Texas history classes in the past and we are excited to be able to continue this unique program once again. Following this invitation, we have provided (below) a detailed look at the program and how it works.
Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to call us Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
We hope to see you and your class here at the Presidio la Bahía this spring!
Scott McMahon - Director, Presidio la Bahía
Student Education and Transportation Grant Program
During the months of March, April and May, Presidio La Bahia offers free admission to 4th and 7th grade social studies students and their teachers when on school trips and when reservations have been made in advance. This program will be available to the first 10,000 students for whom reservations have been made. Transportation grants will be available to help pay a portion of the expense for the buses to transport the students. A teacher’s guide will be made available to the teachers so they will know what the students will learn while at Presidio la Bahía. A reenactor will be on hand for demonstrations.
How School Tours Work
- The Social Studies teacher should call Presidio la Bahía at 361-645-3752 to make a reservation. At that point a date and time will be set. Because of the number of students that we will be accommodating, it is imperative that the school group arrive on time.
- A confirmation and a copy of the teacher’s guide will be sent to the teacher. The teacher will also be given a transportation grant request form to be completed and returned to Presidio la Bahía at the time of the school’s visit.
- When the school arrives they will be taken into the chapel and given an approximately twenty minute presentation that will cover the lesson plan. The students will then have time to visit the demonstration area and the gift shop. It is important that the students be given time to visit the gift shop. A list of gift shop items and their prices will be sent to the teacher making the reservation.
- Approximately one week after the school has visited Presidio la Bahía, the transportation grant funds will be sent to the school. The amount of the grant will be $0.02 per student-mile-traveled to a maximum of $5.00 per student. Mapquest will be used to determine the number of round trip miles from the school to Presidio la Bahía. Example: School has 100 students and travels 150 miles round trip. Transportation grant: 100 x 150 x $0.02 = $300.00
- Family members traveling with school group will pay regular admission.