During the months of March, April and May, Presidio La Bahía offers free admission to 4th and 7th grade social studies students and their teachers when on school trips and when reservations have been made in advance. This program will be available to the first 10,000 students for whom reservations have been made. Transportation grants will be available to help pay a portion of the expense for the buses to transport the students. A teacher’s guide will be made available to the teachers so they will know what the students will learn while at Presidio La Bahía. A reenactor will be on hand for demonstrations.
Education Transportation Grant
The Education Transportation Grant is offered to 4th or 7th Grade Social Studies Teachers and has been extremely popular with Texas history classes. Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to call us Monday through Friday between the hours of 9AM and 4PM. We hope to see you and your class here at the Presidio La Bahía this spring!
Education Transportation Grant Plan:
- Social Studies teacher should call Presidio La Bahía at 361-645-3752 to make a reservation. At that point a date and time will be set. Because of the number of students that we will be accommodating, it is imperative that the school group arrive on time. Family members traveling with school group will pay regular admission.
- A confirmation and a copy of the teacher’s guide will be sent to the teacher. The teacher will also be given a transportation grant request form to be completed and returned to Presidio La Bahía at the time of the school’s visit.
- When the school arrives they will be taken into the chapel and given an approximately twenty minute presentation that will cover the lesson plan. The students will then have time to visit the demonstration area and the gift shop. It is important that the students be given time to visit the gift shop. A list of gift shop items and their prices will be sent to the teacher making the reservation.
- Approximately one week after the school has visited Presidio La Bahía, the transportation grant funds will be sent to the school. The amount of the grant will be $0.02 per student-mile-traveled to a maximum of $5.00 per student. Mapquest will be used to determine the number of round trip miles from the school to Presidio La Bahía.
- Example: School has 100 students and travels 150 miles round trip. Transportation grant: 100 x 150 x $0.02 = $300.00
- Presidio La Bahía has openings for Park Hosts year-round.
- Park hosts are volunteers who support the staff of Presidio La Bahía with daily operations. Hosts assist park visitors and support the operational needs of the Presidio.
- We ask that our hosts serve at least a minimum of one month with a maximum cap of six months. Depending on circumstances, this may be extended with the approval of the director of Presidio La Bahía.
- Park Hosts provide excellent customer service to visitors and give information on site facilities, resources, and attractions. There are a range of opportunities for hosts serving at Presidio La Bahía and include but are not limited to interpretive, customer service, maintenance and special project hosts. To fully understand the various host duties, expectations, amenities and policies of the Presidio, potential hosts are encouraged to contact the director of Presidio La Bahía and visit about the site prior to applying for or accepting an assignment.
- In exchange for volunteer service hours (usually 25 hours per week), the Presidio provides hosts an RV site during their stay. Our host site offers water, electrical and sewer hookups as well as a washer and dryer and Wi-Fi. Park Hosts are required to maintain their RV site in an orderly manner during their stay. As an added benefit, hosts receive training from site staff and get to be part of a passionate team working to promote the wonderful history of Presidio La Bahía, the community of La Bahía and the city of Goliad.