SAN FELIPE, Texas —
Texas’ newest museum and visitors center at San Felipe de Austin State Historic Site is hosting a limited-time exhibition titled El Mar de Lodo/The Sea of Mud, featuring more than 50 artifacts related to the Mexican army’s retreat after the Battle of San Jacinto. The archeological excavation of “The Sea of Mud” near Wharton was overseen by Dr. Gregg Dimmick, author of the book Sea of Mud: The Retreat of the Mexican Army after San Jacinto, An Archeological Investigation.
Featured in the temporary exhibit gallery at San Felipe de Austin State Historic Site, this collection is on loan from the Cushing Library at Texas A&M University. Many of these objects are on display for the first time, available for viewing now until Labor Day.
San Felipe de Austin served as the capital of Stephen F. Austin’s colony in Mexican Texas from 1823 to 1836. In the spring of 1836, it was burned by evacuating residents as part of the Runaway Scrape during the Texas Revolution. Today, the site preserves the stories of Austin and his settlers through preservation, archeology, and public history programming related to the Mexican Texas era. The new visitors center and museum, opened in April 2018, is open every day from 9 a.m.–5 p.m. The historic site is one of the most accessible for heritage travelers, located just two miles north of Interstate 10 near the Brazos River (220 2nd St., San Felipe, Texas).
The San Felipe de Austin State Historic Site is one of 22 state historic sites operated by the Texas Historical Commission. For more information, contact the site at 979-885-2181.