Page Southerland Page, LLP of Austin

Littlefield Building, Austin, TXPage Southerland Page’s earliest roots in Texas began in 1886 when Charles Henry Page moved his young family from St. Louis, Missouri to Austin to work as a stonemason on the construction of the new Texas State Capitol building.  In 1898, Page’s oldest son, Charles Henry (Jr.) opened the architectural firm of C.H. Page, Jr., to be joined shortly thereafter by his younger brother Louis as C.H. Page and Bro. -- which would later become known as Page Brothers.  Page Brothers would quickly emerge as one of the preeminent architectural practices in Texas with the commission for the Texas Pavilion at the St. Louis World’s Fair in 1904.  The firm was prominent in the transition from late 19th century eclecticism, through an expressive classicism in the 1910’s, to the period of modernism.  The firm became one of the state’s leading firms specializing in public projects such as schools and courthouses.  It’s works extended across Texas and included such significant projects as the Smith County Courthouse (1910), the Littlefield Building in downtown Austin (1918), the Hunt County Courthouse (1928), the Travis County Courthouse (1929), and the Austin National Bank (1930, razed 1956) at 513 Congress Avenue. 

In 1932, Louis’ son Louis C. Page, Jr. and MIT Classmate Louis F. Southerland established the office of Page & Southerland in Tyler, Texas following the largest oil boom in Texas History at that time.  With the death of Louis Page Sr. in 1934, in 1935 Page & Southerland relocated to Austin to continue his side of the Page Brothers practice while Charles Henry’s son joined his father and changed the name of Page Brothers to C.H. Page & Son.  C.H. Page & Son would continue its practice in Austin being responsible for such notable projects as the United States Federal Courthouse (1935) and Centennial Floors at the Texas State Capitol.  After the death of C. H. Sr. in 1957, Charles Henry, Jr. continued to practice for several years until closing its doors in the early 1960’s. Texas Supreme Court Building, Austin, TX

In 1939, Louis Page’s brother, George, returned from military service and joined the Page & Southerland practice -- expanding the firm’s name to Page Southerland & Page.  It is through the vision and foresight of these early founders that Page Southerland & Page adopted a model of transition in ownership and leadership that would allow the firm to continue to build across generations in evolving into one of the Nation’s largest and most diversified international architectural and engineering practices.  

  • Building off of the cornerstones put in place by the Page Brothers firm, Page Southerland & Page’s early commissions included such significant landmarks on Austin’s skyline today as the Tribune Building located at across from the Governor’s mansion in Austin.
     
  • In 1940, the firm took its first step in diversifying its practice through the award for the design for the original Brackenridge Hospital in Austin which would be its initial foray into the area of healthcare design – a specialty in which the firm is now a world leader.
     
  • In 1948, the firm added mechanical, electrical and structural engineering to its services – becoming one of the Nation’s first integrated architectural and engineering design firms.
     
  • From 1956-1957, Page Southerland & Page served as Consulting Architect for the University of Texas at Austin.  Since that time, the firm has worked at nine of the UT System campuses and over 30 Higher Education Institutions.  Within the last 10 years alone, the firm has been responsible for the design of over 3 million SF for the UT System and is currently involved in the Master Planning for the University of Texas at Austin campus and adjacent newly formed Medical District.
     
  • Recognizing the growing importance of building strategic partnerships as a tool for tackling complex projects, from 1956 through 1965 Page Southerland & Page worked with other firms to produce such significant projects as the Austin Federal Building and Courthouse, the Texas Supreme Court building, the United States Embassy in Mexico City, and Austin’s Palmer Auditorium.
     
  • In 1961, the firm received the commission to master plan and design IBM’s new Office Products Division campus in North Austin.  Building off of this initial commission, the firm expanded its capabilities into Science and Technology where it is now a national leader in such fields as microelectronics, data centers, energy, and biotechnology for a wide range of the nation’s leading academic and corporate clients.  Most recently, the firm was responsible for the design of Samsung’s 1.6 million SF Austin Semiconductor Fab A2 – as well as a number of the nation’s largest data centers working with clients such as Hewlett Packard, Bank of America, HCA and United Airlines.
     
  • In 1974, Page Southerland Page enhanced its ability to serve clients throughout Texas by opening full-services offices in Dallas and Houston.  Today, both offices are located in newly renovated downtown bank lobbies and are each actively involved in revitalization of downtown districts.  The firm’s Houston office is a leader in the energy sector working globally with such clients as ExxonMobil, ADNOC and ARAMCO – while having been responsible for such significant new local projects as the Discovery Green Park in downtown Houston and new University of Houston Football Stadium.  Dallas has focused primarily on the Advanced Technology and Healthcare fields having worked with Texas Instruments for over 25 years and been responsible for many of the firm’s largest national / international healthcare projects.     
     
  • In 1978, the firm was awarded the design for the Royal Navy Hospital in Jubail, Saudi Arabia.  Since then, Page Southerland Page had expanded its international practice to over 60 foreign countries with current and recent projects located  in Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the United Kingdom, Europe, Africa, Asia, the Middle East, the Far East, Australia and the Pacific Rim.  The firm currently has international presences in London, UK; Doha, Qatar, Kuwait City, Kuwait, and Abu Dhabi, UAE – together with emerging presences in China and India.
     
  • With the award of the Austin Convention Center in 1987, Page Southerland Page began a new generation of Public Buildings in Austin that included such landmark projects as the Barbara Jordan Passenger Terminal, the Austin Convention Center Expansion, the Robert E. Johnson Legislative Office Building, and Computer Sciences Corporation downtown headquarters complex flanking the new City Hall.  The firm’s principal’s leadership in the Heritage Austin program through the Heritage Society of Austin helped lay the groundwork and build community consensus for the revitalization of downtown Austin into one of the nation’s most vibrant and livable urban core.  Since 1990, the firm was involved in major projects on over 10 city-blocks in downtown Austin.
     
  • In response to its growing number of projects throughout the United States and abroad, in 1992 Page Southerland Page opened a fourth office in Washington DC.  Over the last 10 years, the Washington Office has been responsible for the design of over 20 U.S. Embassy Buildings located throughout the world – including most recently the $1 Billion Embassy Complex in Pakistan.
     
  • In 2008, the firm opened its newest domestic office in Denver, Colorado.

Austin-Bergstrom International Airport Barbara Jordan Passenger Terminal, Austin, TXDiscovery Green, Houston, TX

With a staff today of over 500 design professionals and five domestic offices located in Austin, Dallas, Denver, Houston, and Washington D.C. – as well as international presences in London, UK; Doha, Qatar; Kuwait City, Kuwait; Abu Dhabi, UAE, China and India -- PageSoutherlandPage is currently ranked as the nation’s 12th largest A/E Design firm by Building Design and Construction (July 2012) and 84th largest in the World (World Architecture, 2012).  The firm’s practice extends to over 40 states and 60 foreign nations – making it one of the nation’s leading global design firms.  Within the last 10 years alone, the firm has been recognized with over 150 local, regional and national Design Awards and published in over 100 magazines, books and professional journals throughout the world.  PageSoutherlandPage has been named by the American Institute of Architects as the Firm of the Year in both Austin and Houston, and in 2009 was named by the Texas Society of Architects as its Statewide Firm of the Year.  In both 2008 and 2009 the firm was nominated by the American Institute of Architects as its National Firm of the Year.

As the oldest architectural practice in Texas, PageSoutherlandPage is actively involved in civic and community organizations and committed to preservation and planning as a means for improving the uniqueness and quality of life in the cities in which we live and work.  PageSoutherlandPage Principals have served as President of the Heritage Society of Austin, are active members of Preservation Houston, serve on the Dallas Landmark Commission and Texas Historical Commission.