The Texas Local Government Code (Chapter 318) instructs the Texas Historical Commission (THC) to "make orientation materials and training available" to County Historical Commissions (CHC). To fulfill this statutory responsibility, THC staff creates and compiles information on history- and preservation-related topics.
CHC educational material is provided on this website. Use the search box above and use the weblinks featured below.
CHC Webpage Inventory as of October 2017
Former CHC Handbook--Now THC Recommendations Packet
The 2010 CHC Handbook has been replaced by a document called, THC Recommendations for CHCs, which is supplemented by educational material on this website.Use this website as an online handbook--search for topics and become familiar with the webpages that feature CHC-specific content. We no longer print formal handbooks; however, those who prefer hardcopy can print preferred pages.
CHC Outreach staff prepared an orientation presentation, "Role of a CHC Appointee," that is located on the CHC Appointee Orientation Content webpage. In keeping with that presentation, we suggest that CHCs begin appointee orientation with an examination of statutory expectations for CHCs, and branch out to review the recommendations provided by THC staff.
The orientation content webpage also highlights additional webmaterial that comments on a CHC's organizational structure and publications on organizational excellence. You'll notice that the body and bottom of each CHC-specific webpage provide web links to related information. Use these webpages to begin your journey through the educational material and information provided for CHCs on the THC website.
Publications that Encourage CHC Planning and Productivity
Here are additional weblinks to material that will help CHCs improve preservation understanding and organizational performance.
- The Medallion is THC's official quarterly magazine containing news and advice about preservation activity across the state. We've culled particularly helpful articles and grouped them by topic.
- CHC articles from the Medallion and from the CHC listserv.
- CHC listserv archive provides postings from the last year.
Special Subjects that Inform CHC Efforts
CHC Outreach Program staff work with other THC staff to identify preservation issues that are specific to CHCs and THC initiatives that impact CHCs. Below are links to educational material related to these issues, which includes recommendations to address related challenges.
- Review and Compliance for CHCs––This web page features statutes and regulations that deal with cultural resources, and direct you to the THC staff members assigned to provide guidance on these matters.
- Historic Bridges in Texas––Information compiled by THC historians, in cooperation with the Texas Department of Transportation and the Historic Bridge Foundation.
- Rosenwald Schools––Rosenwald Schools represent an important chapter in Texas history; this reference material is featured courtesy of the THC's National Register Coordinator, Gregory Smith.
- Post Oak CHC––Fictional CHC created by CHC Outreach staff to demonstrate practical dos and don’ts for CHCs. Featured links address event promotion, partnering, and marker narratives.
CHCs requested that the THC create a publication for CHCs to use in local outreach and partnering efforts to explain a CHC's purpose and connection to the THC. In response to this request, CHC Outreach produced the first CHC Brochure in 2010 and then updated the publication in November of 2012. The brochure covers the mission of CHCs, the appointment process, and notable highlights of CHC efforts across the state.
View CHC Outreach main page.