Auto Dealership, 316 Main St, Garland

Address: Auto Dealership, 316 Main St, Garland

Date: 1947

Historic Uses: Auto Dealership

Company Affiliation: Humble Oil

Stylistic Influences: Moderne/Streamline

National Register of Historic Places: Individually Eligible

Previous Designations: National Register Listed (District)

Other Historic Designations: 2100000861

Main Content

A.J. Head hired contractor R. Otis LaGrone to design this two-story service station building of brick veneer construction with an apartment on the second floor.  This resource is listed as a contributing building in the Garland Downtown National Register Historic District.  The NR nomination describes this building as follows: "Streamline-Moderne style, two-part commercial block brick building with a one-story service wing. The two-story portion features a curved brick wall above and below, with a storefront and two service bays on the lower level and a series of varied size and style steel windows and a brick screen element on the upper level. A broad signage band bisects a portion of the front facade. The building consists of buff-colored brick and is painted below the signage band. A one-story brick service wing defines an "L" shape and provides another three-and-a-half service bays."  Few significant changes have been made to the original structure over the years with the exception of the forward extension of the three rear service bays (c 1950) and the removal of the canopy at the front of the building (c 1970).

Photo Gallery

Click on any image to view the photo gallery.