Date: Exactly 1903
Historic Uses: Plaza
National Register of Historic Places: Contributing to a District
San Jacinto Plaza
In 1857, W.T. Smith sold his property which he called the "town of El Paso' for $6,500.00. The buyers were J.S. and H.S. Gillette, J.F. Crosby, J.W. Morton, and V. St. Vrain; they had it surveyed by Anson Mills. The map showed downtown El Paso much as it is today, including a public square which they donated to the future city of El Paso, which was incorporated in 1873. This plot of ground, a haven for the weary traveler, has seen and heard of the life of this area march by since Spanish Colonial times. It was rumbling ox-drawn carts, the first US soldiers, cover wagons. Then Jeff Davis' Camel Corps, stage coaches, the blast of six-guns and the first locomotive whistles, and law and order emerging. The years brought concerts, political and patriotic speeches, presidents visiting and marching soldiers of our wars. It was designated "the Plaza" by the 1889 city fathers, but the 1902 council permanently and officially named it San Jacinto Plaza. Presented by the State National Bank of El Paso, Texas July 30, 1965.
Official Texas Historical Marker #8831.
Camino Real (The King's Highway)
The regal highway extending between his Catholic majesty's far flung kingdoms of New Spain, from Mexico City to the Kingdom of New Mexico, passed here. From 1581 onward, it was the route followed by conqueror, padre, merchant, adventurer, and settler. Along its course passed ox-cart and mule-train and the traffic of the new realm.
Grey granite 1936 Centennial marker #643.
Click on any image to view the photo gallery.