Address: Roadside Park/Turnout, US 67, Weaver
Date: Approximately 1935
Historic Uses: Roadside Park/Turnout
National Register of Historic Places: Individually Eligible
The picnic area on US 67 in Hopkins County is an early roadside park developed by the Texas Highway Department -- now Texas Highway Department. It was built from 1939-1940 using labor from the National Youth Administration, a federal works relief program. The park retains several of its original stone picnic features.
The Texas Highway Department launched its roadside park program in 1933 to provide safe places for motorists to relax and eat during their travels. Native stone and plantings were often used to create a natural park atmosphere. Today, hundreds of picnic areas and rest areas dot Texas' highways, continuing the state's legacy of safe and convenient roadside parks (TxDOT sign).
This site was donated for park purposes to the State Highway Department of Texas by Mrs. Lula Loller in memory of her husband Buster Loller. The roadside park was improved by the National Youth Administration cooperating with the Texas Highway Department in 1936.
Click on any image to view the photo gallery.