Information for Existing Markers

Orders regarding Texas historical markers can improve the marker's presentationReady to install your historical marker? See the installation instructions for a post or mounting to a surface.

If you need to move a marker, use the Marker Relocation Form in Word Doc (or PDF). The form must have the County Historical Commission permission.

To order a replacement for a damaged or missing marker, including replacement parts for Texas Centennial markers, use the Marker Replacement Form in Word Doc (or PDF). The form must have the County Historical Commission permission. To add or correct information on a marker (one sentence in length), use the Supplemental Plaque Form in Word Doc (or PDF).

Found a mistake on a marker? Request to have the THC review a marker (Word Doc) (PDF) for a possible correction.

2020 Amendment Relocation Replacement Retirement Procedures (PDF)

Find out more about marker refinishing.

Original files of Texas historical marker applications are housed at the THC Library, and inscriptions and location information for individual markers can be accessed through the Texas Historic Sites Atlas.

To request a copy or scan of a marker file, please email with the name of the marker, county and your contact information.