The Romanesque Revival courthouse, completed in 1891, is the design of the architectural firm of Bulger and Rapp. It is now the oldest functioning courthouse in the Texas Panhandle.
The structure is asymmetrical (no two sides of the building are alike), which is an unusual feature for this type of building in Texas during that time.
Damage from a tornado in the 1930s resulted in the removal of the original third floor and tower. Prior to renovation, the courthouse had serious problems with water infiltration and bats infesting the attic due to a deteriorating metal cornice.
The project included reconstruction of the third floor and was a dramatic transformation. It was completed in July 2003.
Before and After Restoration
Click on any image to view the photo gallery.