Texas courthouse architect James Riely Gordon designed this 1891 Romanesque Revival courthouse.
Rare among courthouses, this structure originally had an open atrium at its center providing ample natural ventilation and lighting, and featured a large fountain, cast iron sculptures, and tropical plants. Enclosed for vaults and office space many years ago, the atrium was reopened recreating what is sure to be one of the most uniquely beautiful features to be found in a courthouse in this state.
The entire building was restored to its historic appearance in a manner that will provide both aesthetic beauty and functional utility for the county.
Work began in June 2003 and was completed in March 2005.
Before and After Restoration
Click on any image to view the photo gallery.