Kendall County received a grant in Round V for the full restoration of the historic Kendall County Courthouse. The courthouse, initially constructed in 1870 using simple German vernacular construction, had been dramatically expanded in 1886, and then again in 1909 to the plans of architect Alfred Giles.
The 1909 design has been retained and restored in this work by removal of later floor finishes, suspended ceilings, and infilled walls. A new elevator and mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire detections systems have been installed. The hand-painted vault, ornate millwork, and distinctive finishes have been restored to the 1909 period.
The restored courthouse was rededicated in 2010.
Before and After Restoration
Click on any image to view the photo gallery.