The Texas Main Street Program (TMSP) staff encourage communities to initiate and implement effective downtown revitalization efforts! We hope the resources on this page will help in your community's preservation and downtown revitalization programs.
Main Street Matters
Main Street Matters, a monthly newsletter from the Texas Main Street Program that spotlights various designated communities and provides technical advice.
Main Street Jobs, Texas
- Greenville is looking for a Main Street Manager. Job description can be found here.
- McKinney has posted an opening for a Main Street program director here
- Career Center of the National Trust for Historic Preservation and National Main Street Center
- Job Openings page of this website for openings in the Texas Historical Commission
- Texas Municipal League Main Street positions for programs housed within city government are also generally posted in the TML Career Center
Main Street Design
Every year the Anice B. Read Award of Excellence in the Community Heritage Development is open to the public. The most recent winner was Linda McCalla, who was Georgetown's first Main Street program manager from 1982-1984. She helped lay a strong foundation for this highly successful program. Today, Linda continues to be a strong local preservation leader, as well as a local small business owner. See the presentation here where she was awarded this recognition.
THC's Real Places Conference provides a wide range of preservation-related training that addresses the needs of historic buildings but also the broader field of preservation that includes heritage tourism, placemaking, etc. Attend this conference to expand your preservation network.
For more than 30 years, the Texas Main Street Program has partnered with the Texas Downtown Association on hosting an annual statewide Downtown Revitalization Conference. The conference is scheduled to be held next year in Nacogdoches, October 24-27, 2023.
The national Main Street organization—Main Street America—holds an annual conference, Main Street Now, that draws thousands of Main Street professionals from across the country. The 2023 conference will be held in Boston, March 27-29, 2023.
- In conjunction with the Certified Local Government program, the Texas Main Street design team developed a series of webinars to aid communities with building a strong preservation program. The topics include protection by designation, historic preservation ordinances, design guidelines and standards, certificate of appropriateness review, and preservation incentives. These webinars assist cities of all sizes in learning historic preservation best practices at the local level.
- Main Street staff and board members have access to the TMSP Online Resource Library, which features a host of educatinal material, reference documents, and videos.
Partner Programs and Incentiaves
Many other preservation resources are available to you within this website that provide information on additional tools and programs, which are helpful to the downtown revitalization effort.
- Certified Local Government
- Heritage Tourism
- Codes for historic buildings
- Standards and guidelines
- Preservation tax incentives
General Technical Design Resources
- The National Park Service (NPS) preservation briefs provide guidance on preserving, rehabilitating, and restoring historic buildings.
- The General Services Administration (GSA) offers offers instruction on historic preservation technical procedures.