CLICK ON THIS LINK FOR OUR 2020 TEXAS MAIN STREET PROGRAM OVERVIEW.
Information is a powerful tool that is an essential ingredient for an effective downtown revitalization effort. We hope the resources on this page will help in your community's preservation and downtown revitalization journey.
Main Street Matters
Main Street Matters, a monthly newsletter from the Texas Main Street Program that spotlights various designated communities and provides technical advice.
Main Street Jobs, Texas
LA GRANGE, population 4,667, has been a Main Street community since 1996. La Grange is seeking an Economic Development Coordinator. This position, tourism and Main Street are all housed together under the same organizational umbrella. The job posting can be accessed from here.
LONGVIEW, one of Texas' Urban Main Street communities, designated since 2008, has an opening for Main Street Coordinator. The job description and posting can be accessed here.
Career Center of the National Trust for Historic Preservation and National Main Street Center
Job Openings page of this website for openings in the Texas Historical Commission.
Texas Municipal League. Main Street positions for programs housed within city government are also generally posted in the TML Career Center
Main Street Design
For more than 30 years, the Texas Main Street Program has partnered with the Texas Downtown Association on hosting an annual statewide Downtown Revitalization Conference. The conference was originally scheduled to be held in Denton, a 30-year Texas Main Street community, November 10-13, 2020. It was held as a virtual conference but is planned for Denton in person in the fall of 2021.
The national Main Street organization -- Main Street America -- holds an annual conference, Main Street Now, that draws thousands of Main Street professionals from across the country. The 2020 conference celebrating the 40th anniversary of both the national and Texas movements was scheduled to be held in Dallas, in May, but was cancelled due to COVID-19. The 2021 conference will be held virtually April 12-14, 2021. The Texas Main Street Program officially designates and accredits Main Street communities in Texas in affiliation with the national program.
- In conjunction with the Certified Local Government program, the Texas Main Street design team developed a series of webinars to aid communities with building a strong preservation program. The topics include protection by designation, historic preservation ordinances, design guidelines and standards, certificate of appropriateness review, and preservation incentives. These webinars assist cities of all sizes in learning historic preservation best practices at the local level.
Many other preservation resources are available to you within this website that provide information on additional tools and programs, which are helpful to the downtown revitalization effort, such as:
- Certified Local Government
- Heritage Tourism
- Codes for historic buildings
- Standards and guidelines
- Preservation tax incentives
General Technical Design Resources
- The National Park Service (NPS) preservation briefs provide guidance on preserving, rehabilitating, and restoring historic buildings.
- The General Services Administration (GSA) offers offers instruction on historic preservation technical procedures.