The Town Square Initiative is comprised of a professional team with expertise in architecture, economic development, and city planning. We prioritize viable redevelopment projects in communities that are strongly motivated by enhancing the quality of place in their downtowns.TSI accepts requests for assistance on an ongoing basis from any community currently participating in the agency's programs. Endangered properties may receive priority.
TSI provides direct project assistance typically resulting in one of these deliverables:
- This study assists property owners and public officials in evaluating the redevelopment potential of a historic property.
- Typically includes a review of local development barriers and market conditions, a re-use plan with renderings, an operating pro-forma, and gap financing recommendations. Most studies emphasize the use of the state and federal historic preservation tax credit programs.
- Example: Texas Theater Feasibility Study, Kingsville
- The request for assistance must demonstrate sufficient local capacity to move a project forward. A strong application will also demonstrate an existing community preservation ethic, the ability of the project to enhance the quality of place in downtown, a potential market to sustain a new use and support from public officials. Applications are required to be jointly completed by a property owner and local government designee.
Downtown Action Plan
- This is a specialized downtown planning report with program and policy recommendations to comprehensively address local barriers to redevelopment and reinvestment in downtown.
- Example: Downtown Action Plan, Canton, TX
- TS works long-term and at a high level of expertise with one community at a time. Applications may be submitted on a rolling basis, but acceptance is dependent upon scoring and current team capacity. Participation in one or more of the following programs is required to apply: Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Grant Program, Certified Local Government Program, and/or Texas Main Street Program.