Internship Title: Casa Navarro Research Intern
Supervising Division/Department/Site: Casa Navarro State Historic Site
Semester Internship is Available: Spring/Summer/Fall
Work Location Address: 228 South Laredo Street, San Antonio, Texas 78207
Duration: To Be Determined
Application Closing Date: Until Filled
Hours/Week: Minimum 10 hours/week Fall/Spring and 20 hours/week in Summer
Travel Required: No
INTERNSHIP JOB DESCRIPTION:
Research interns will be assigned topics to research including but not limited to people, places and structures associated with Casa Navarro State Historic Site, Tejano History and San Antonio's Westside/Laredito neighborhood. Research will be used in the development of site programs, special exhibits, social media posts, and articles for online publication.
Complies with all agency Internship Program policies and procedures.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
- Research using a variety of digital, archival and oral resources.
- Document and photo digitization, cataloguing and organization.
- Development of social media posts regarding projects.
- Assist in the development of non-permanent themed exhibit.
- Assist in development of educational resources including online articles and graphics.
- Assist in developing and/or conducting K-12 and public programs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Using computers and common office machines.
- Interest in museums/historic sites, public history and collections management/library science.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills.
- Degree or expected degree in history, education, museum studies, library/archival science, humanities, or a related field.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision on detailed tasks.
- Ability to work indoors and outdoors in challenging environmental conditions (heat, rain, cold, humidity etc.)
- Knowledge of basic library science principles.
Applications will be accepted from currently enrolled college students including sophmores, juniors, seniors, graduate students and/or recent bachelor's or master's degree graduates.
REMARKS (Application procedure, Special requirements): Applications must be submitted on the Texas Historical Commission’s Internship Application available on the web at www.thc.texas.gov. Please mail applications to P.O. Box 12276, Austin, Texas 78711 or deliver them in person at 1700 N. Congress Avenue, Suite B-65, Austin, Texas. A resume and current transcript must be submitted with your application. Resumes cannot be submitted in lieu of applications. Applications will be reviewed, and top applicants will be contacted for interviews. After a qualified person has been chosen for the specified internship, letters will be mailed to all interviewed applicants letting them know that the position has been filled. Disability access for application submission, testing and interview accommodations can be provided upon reasonable notice.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER