The Texas Historical Commission (THC) offers awards to recognize worthy accomplishments and exemplary leadership in the preservation of Texas’ heritage. In 2011, due to staffing reductions, the Commission’s awards program was mostly suspended, with only the Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation, the John L. Nau, III Award of Excellence in Museums, and the Award of Merit continued. However, the THC is happy to announce that the larger awards program is being restored.
The THC accepts nominations for the following categories of annual historic preservation awards:
- Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation
- Ruth Lester Lifetime Achievement Award
- John Ben Shepperd County Historical Commission Leadership Award
- George Christian Outstanding Volunteer of the Year Award
- John L. Nau, III Award of Excellence in Museums
- Curtis D. Tunnell Lifetime Achievement Award in Archeology
- Anice B. Read Award of Excellence in Community Heritage Development
- Texas Historical Commission Award of Excellence in Preserving History
- Texas Historical Commission Award of Excellence in Historic Architecture
- Texas Historical Commission Award of Excellence in Media Achievement
- Award of Merit
Most of the above awards will be presented at the THC’s Real Places Conference in January 2018.
The THC’s most prestigious award, the Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation, is presented in a special ceremony arranged with the staff of the Governor’s office. Submissions for the Governor’s Award and for the Nau Award have already been accepted for 2017; no new nominations will be taken this year. Award of Merit, which recognizes the efforts/contributions of a group or individual involved in preserving Texas’ cultural and historic resources. Nominations for the Award of Merit can be submitted at any time during the year.
The deadline to submit applications for the THC’s historic preservation awards is 5 p.m. on Friday, July 14.
Current THC staff members, commissioners, advisory board members, or their immediate families are not eligible to receive any award.
Texas Historical Commission Awards Guidelines (PDF)
Please read through the complete guidelines, as requirements differ from award to award. A cover form, included as the late page of the guidelines document, must be submitted with each entry.
Award of Merit (PDF)
- Recognizes the efforts/contributions of a group or individual involved in preserving Texas’ cultural and historical resources.