Spanning 82 acres in the Pecos River valley, Fort Lancaster State Historic Site commemorates the vestiges of one of several posts established in the 1850s that played an important role in westward expansion by providing escorts for mail carriers, wagon trains, and settlers on the San Antonio–El Paso Road en route to California.
Today, visitors wander through ruins imagining the once-impressive establishment of over 30 permanent buildings—including a blacksmith shop, hospital, sutler’s store, and bakery—and enjoy the sights, sounds, and wildlife of West Texas.
From the Blog
This article originally appeared in the Winter 2013 issue of The Medallion.
By Andy Rhodes, Managing Editor, The Medallion
Standing on a rocky bluff overlooking the panoramic oak-lined brim of the Edwards Plateau, it's easy to imagine Fort McKavett in 1852. The site has changed little in 160 years, but there's something beyond the physical landscape that conjures...
By Wilson White, Fort Lancaster Staff
Fort Lancaster State Historic Site, a Texas Historical Commission property, spans 82 acres and commemorates the remnants of a fort established in 1855 to protect the Lower El Paso-San Antonio Road from American Indian raids.
During the 1850s through the 1870s, numerous people traveled west along this route. These travelers included...
By Nash Traylor, Fort Lancaster Events Coordinator
Fort Lancaster State Historic Site recently completed its 2013 Frontier Jubilee, with record attendance and a great time had by all. The weekend was comprised of an Education Day for area schools and a day open to the public.
On May 17, Education Day enabled school groups to witness history by watching living historians...
Click on any image to view the photo gallery.