414 State Loop 92
La Grange, TX 78945-5733
In 1849, German immigrant Heinrich Ludwig Kreische purchased 172 acres of land including the Dawson/Mier tomb, now known as Monument Hill. Master stonemason Kreische built a three-story house for his family. In the 1860s, he utilized the spring water from the ravine below his house and started one of the first commercial breweries in Texas. Walk the ruins of this once bustling brewery and envision how Fayette County citizens would come and enjoy a pint of Kreische’s Bluff Beer while looking out towards the beautiful Texas landscape. The Kreische Brewery and home are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
From the Blog
This article originally appeared in the Fall 2013 issue of The Medallion.
Article and photos by Andy Rhodes, The Medallion Managing Editor
In the mid-1800s, Germans arriving in Texas were only a few decades removed from the first Oktoberfest in Bavaria. On October 12, 1810, the citizens of Munich were invited to the royal wedding of Crown Prince Ludwig and Princess...
By Andy Rhodes, Managing Editor The Medallion, Photos by Patrick Hughey
Texas’ Republic-era past takes center stage with the Texas Historical Commission’s (THC) recent acquisition of nine state historic sites. The sites’ legislative transfer from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department became official on September 1, 2019, increasing the...
Click on any image to view the photo gallery.