Lipantitlan Park Road
Sandia, TX 78383
Located on five acres east of Orange Grove in Nueces County, this site was named after the Lipan Apaches that camped in the vicinity. In 1831, a picket fort was constructed by Mexican forces in anticipation of Anglo immigration. In 1835, the small guard force that held the fort surrendered it to the Texan forces without a shot being fired.
The site has no interpretation (other than the marker) and no services for visitors.
From the Blog
By Andy Rhodes, Managing Editor The Medallion, Photos by Patrick Hughey
Texas’ Republic-era past takes center stage with the Texas Historical Commission’s (THC) recent acquisition of nine state historic sites. The sites’ legislative transfer from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department became official on September 1, 2019, increasing the...