Each October, Texas Archeology Month (TAM) celebrates the spirit of discovering Texas' past.
It's an opportunity for Texans to understand the:
- Depth and richness of our heritage, from the former dwelling sites of prehistoric hunters and gatherers to historic shipwrecks and military sites
- Historical significance of the state's archeological sites
- Importance of proper archeological practices
- Contributions made by professional and avocational archeologists to our understanding of Texas’ ancient and recent past
How Can I Participate?
- Host a TAM event.
- Fill out the 2019 Texas Archeology Month Event Form to have your event advertised on the TAM website and on the TAM Events Calendar (coming soon!).
- Apply for the Council of Texas Archeologists Public Outreach Grant for up to $500 to help fund your event.
- Request FREE archeology-related materials (posters, brochures, educational materials) to give out at your event.
- Support a TAM Event: Contact an event organizer to volunteer or provide financial support for a TAM event in your area.
- Attend a TAM Event.
- Promote TAM events on websites, listserves, and social media by sharing our website: https://www.thc.texas.gov/preserve/projects-and-programs/texas-archeology-month
- Distribute FREE archeology-related materials during the month of October (or any time of year!) by submitting a TAM Materials Order Form
- Plan an event for TAM 2020!
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the TAM Coordinator, Maggie Moore at 512.463.6508 or Maggie.Moore@thc.texas.gov.
The Texas Historical Commission (THC) is proud to sponsor TAM in association with the Texas Archeological Society and the Council of Texas Archeologists (CTA). The CTA will offer up to five small grants to finance public education and outreach programs during TAM. Information on how to apply can be found at CTA Public Outreach Grants on the CTA website.
Texas Archeology Month was moved to October to enable educators to incorporate archeology into curriculum early in the school year.
Click on any image to view the photo gallery.