The Texas Historical Commission (THC) offers annual awards to recognize worthy accomplishments and exemplary leadership in the preservation of Texas’ heritage. The THC accepts nominations for the following categories of annual historic preservation awards:
- Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation
- Ruth Lester Lifetime Achievement Award
- John Ben Shepperd County Historical Commission Leadership Award
- George Christian Outstanding Volunteer of the Year Award
- John L. Nau, III Award of Excellence in Museums
- Curtis D. Tunnell Lifetime Achievement Award in Archeology
- Anice B. Read Award of Excellence in Community Heritage Development
- Texas Historical Commission Award of Excellence in Preserving History
- Texas Historical Commission Award of Excellence in Historic Architecture
- Texas Historical Commission Award of Excellence in Media Achievement
These awards are typically presented the following year at the THC's Real Places Conference. The THC’s most prestigious award, the Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation, is presented in a special ceremony arranged with staff of the Governor’s Office. Current THC staff members, commissioners, advisory board members, and their immediate families are not eligible to receive any award. Nominations can only be submitted for one award at a time.
Applications may be submitted beginning on May 1. The deadline for submissions for the 2023 THC Preservation Awards is July 14 at 5 p.m. Winners of the awards will be decided at the Commission's October 2023 Quarterly Meeting, and all nominees will be notified of their status shortly thereafter. Guidelines for the 2023 awards are available below. Nominations can only be submitted for one award at a time.
Texas Historical Commission Awards Guidelines (PDF)
Texas Historical Commission Awards Nomination Cover Form (PDF)
Download a complete listing of THC Preservation Awards winners, dating back to 1960. (216 KB PDF)
The THC also offers awards of merit throughout the year. Nominations for the Award of Merit, which recognizes the efforts/contributions of a group or individual involved in preserving Texas’ cultural and historic resources, can be submitted at any time during the year. The presentations of these awards are arranged by THC staff or submitting individuals and organizations as time allows.
Award of Merit (PDF