The Texas Historical Commission (THC) offers annual awards to recognize worthy accomplishments and exemplary leadership in the preservation of Texas’ heritage. The THC accepts nominations for the following categories of annual historic preservation awards:
- Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation
- Ruth Lester Lifetime Achievement Award
- John Ben Shepperd County Historical Commission Leadership Award
- George Christian Outstanding Volunteer of the Year Award
- John L. Nau, III Award of Excellence in Museums
- Curtis D. Tunnell Lifetime Achievement Award in Archeology
- Anice B. Read Award of Excellence in Community Heritage Development
- Texas Historical Commission Award of Excellence in Preserving History
- Texas Historical Commission Award of Excellence in Historic Architecture
- Texas Historical Commission Award of Excellence in Media Achievement
- Award of Merit
Most of the above awards are typically presented at the following year's THC’s Real Places Conference. The THC’s most prestigious award, the Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation, is presented in a special ceremony arranged with the staff of the Governor’s office, and awards of merit presentations are arranged by THC staff or submitting individuals and organizations as time allows. Current THC staff members, commissioners, advisory board members, or their immediate families are not eligible to receive any award. Nominations can only be submitted for one award at a time.
Applications may be submitted beginning on May 1st. The deadline for submissions for the 2022 THC Preservation Awards is July 15, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. Winners of the awards will be decided at the Commission's October 2022 Quarterly Meeting, and all nominees will be notified of their status shortly afterwards. Guidelines for the 2022 awards are available below. Nominations can only be submitted for one award at a time.
- Use this form with each entry
Nominations for the Award of Merit, which recognizes the efforts/contributions of a group or individual involved in preserving Texas’ cultural and historic resources, can be submitted at any time during the year.
Award of Merit (PDF)
- Recognizes the efforts/contributions of a group or individual involved in preserving Texas’ cultural and historical resources
You can download a complete listing of Preservation Awards winners - all the way back to 1960 - here. (216 KB PDF)