Beginning in 1999, the Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program, and its local partners have made significant financial investments to restore many valuable historic courthouses throughout the state.
In order to protect and preserve these buildings for future generations, the Texas Courthouse Stewardship Program was created in 2005 to assist counties by fostering facility planning, budgeting and training. The goal is to prevent the facilities from returning to a state of deferred maintenance and disrepair.
The amount of hours provided for Courthouse Stewardship Training
In Fall 2018, THC’s Courthouse staff architects held workshops in Trinity and Menard in their restored courthouses. These day-long workshops were the most recent training and networking opportunities for county officials and staff involved with day-to-day care and maintenance activities. Stay tuned for more regional workshops in 2010.
TLTA receives Governor’s Award
In October 2016 Governor Greg Abbott recognized the Texas Land Title Association (TLTA) with our 2015 Governor's Award for Historic Preservation. It highlights the effective 10 year partnership between TLTA and the THC to encourage the proper, ongoing stewardship of these treasured landmarks.
Stewardship Award Presented to Shackelford County
The 2019 Texas Courthouse Stewardship Award—designed to recognize counties that have established good stewardship practice to maintain their courthouses in restored condition—was presented to the Shackelford County Courthouse. Notable for being the first restored courthouse in the THC’s Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program, the building in Albany dates to 1884 and features an impressive Second Empire-style tower, detailed cornice brackets, and sturdy limestone from a nearby quarry. Shackelford County representatives were honored for their dedication to maintaining the work performed during the initial 2001 preservation project, which restored the district courtroom, corridors, and 15 office spaces by adding new features (an ADA ramp and elevator) along with reproduced historic features such as the ornate entry doors, pressed metal and beadboard ceilings, and wood windows. In 2018, the county completed significant maintenance on the building, including exterior repainting and repairs.